On what’s saving my life right now…
Wednesday, February 10th, 2016
We talk a lot about what we are struggling with. Rightfully so. How else can we work through it if we aren’t talking about it, right? Speaking of, you guys are AMAZING and I so appreciate all your kind words as I shared about my recent struggles here on the blog. Thank you for not running away and for hearing me and allowing me to be known. It feels so good.
So today, I want us to shift our focus and consider what’s saving our lives right now. Because for most of us reading this blog, we are in the thick of an ugly, messy betrayal that we never ever thought would be a part of our story. And if we don’t have some strategies in place to help us get through the hour, the day, the week… well, we’re going to sink.
And if you aren’t in the thick of betrayal work, it’s something else. For instance, it might be that you feel like the enemy is on your back (that’d be me). This is another time when it’s so important for us to identify what is helping us survive.
stole was inspired by this idea from a blog that I enjoy following. And felt much better when I read that she was inspired by someone else to write about what is helping her survive. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve used this question at the beginning of my group calls. It’s been really encouraging to hear the practical things women are doing in order to survive. So without further ado, here is my list:
- My wood-burning fire place. I love everything about it. The smell, the sound, the warmth. It is so soothing. Most evenings this winter, it’s where you can find me.
- My running shoes and music or podcasts. I guess to take it a step further, I have to get outside and start pounding the pavement. All of this combined is helping me survive.
- My newest wool blanket from west elm. This puppy is warm and soft.
- Chapstick (if you’re red neck) or for those of you a little more refined, it’s lip balm.
- Warm showers. I’ve been taking them about twice a day as of late.
- Chocolove. Almond and Sea Salt to be exact. If loving you is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.
- Downloads with Jason. Seriously girls, lately I’ve gotten a ton of free counseling sessions from him.
- Praying for protection. I’ve come across some verses lately that have opened my eyes to the fact that angels are fighting for us. (See Daniel 10:20-21, 11:1.) I tend to forget, this battle is real.
- My girls. Not just my support group but the groups I facilitate. I confessed something to them this week that I’m so not proud of. It has to do with a certain word that came out of my mouth when I really wish it hadn’t. And they loved me even still.
- Rocking my little boys. Lately, I’ve been yearning to pull them into the rocking chair with me for cuddle time. (And I think they like it just as much as me.) Something about this cuddle time this week has been so heartwarming for me.
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. This book was a fantastic read for me. Just finished it last week and I’m on to The Gifts of Imperfection. Where has she been all my life?!
the list goes on and on, but I’ll stop there…
So what about you? What is helping save your life right now? I’d love for you to share.