I’m a better person when…
Friday, October 12th, 2018
Hey Y’all – before I get into this short and sweet blog post for today – just three quick things I want you to be aware of.
First – there are two new groups starting in November. If you are interested at all in one of these groups – I would love to hear from you.
Second – the Restore Workshop is just around the corner! Would love for you to join me there – it’s a packed weekend and I promise you will walk away with so much hope and clarity as to your next steps to move forward toward wholeness and freedom!
Third – I enjoyed being on this podcast a couple of weeks ago. If you listen to it – you might notice it sounds like I am running around during the first 5-6 minutes of the show. And that’s because I WAS. I was on my land-line and the battery was low (and beeping) and I was literally running around the house from room to room looking for the 2nd phone which took me a loooooong while to find. Oh my goodness – talk about terrible timing.
It was last Sunday at church that I thought these 5 words – “I’m a better person when…” I found myself actually looking for people I knew to say “hi” to in the hallways after church versus my usual – keeping my head down, collecting my kids and flying out the door.
I thought to myself – I am a better person when I actually make an intentional effort to connect with people I know.
Another reminder that while isolation is always easier – it’s not in any kind of way better.
And then I started to wonder – what else makes me a better person? So I started compiling a list and here is the start of it –
I’m a better person when…
- I get up before my kids and have even just 5-10 minutes to connect with myself and God before my day gets underway.
- I carve out space to exercise.
- I call the mail lady by name and say a word or ten when I see her at my door or on the street.
- I have food in my pantry and in my fridge.
- I have clear boundaries and expectations with my children and I stick to what I say.
- I make my Friday morning date with Jason a priority.
- I reach for a vegetable instead of a slice of cake. (Which I just indulged in and loved every bite! haha! Maybe I should remove this one from my list.)
- I carve out time at the end of the day to cuddle with each of my boys once they are in bed.
- I map out my week by Sunday evenings – just so there are no surprises.
- I have margin in my day (which I haven’t had in the last 10 days or so – eeks!).
That is literally the very beginning of what could turn into a long list. I’d love for you to join me in thinking this through as you go about your day and then sharing with me – what are the things that make you a better you.
And then – let’s go do them (minus subbing the veggies for cake) – ’cause we all need a little cake in our lives!
xo – Shelley